Founded in 1944 by the Church of the Good Shepherd as a Christian kindergarten and childcare resource for Augusta mothers working in the war effort, in 1962 EDS was the first area school to integrate — a decade before court-ordered desegregation. From 1972 to 1988, EDS offered prekindergarten through seventh grades. In 1988, a Middle School was established with the addition of an eighth grade.
Today, as a co-educational day school, EDS serves three year olds through eighth grade with a faculty and staff of 87. Its goal is to provide an excellent education, within a Christian environment, that will help students to be academically prepared, intellectually curious, socially responsible, and spiritually aware as they enter high school.
Our beautiful Walton Way campus is as familiar to many Augustans as the Church of the Good Shepherd, whose grounds and values we share.